What are Permitted Development Rights?

There are many rules that surround the development of a property, one of these is permitted development rights. But what is it and what does it mean for you?

What are Permitted Development Rights?

These are a selection of building works and changes that are allowed to be carried out without being required to apply for planning permission. This is because of a national grant of planning permission that has been pre-arranged by the government to help speed up the process of development.

Permitted development rights are provided subject to conditions and limitations in order to be able to retain control over the impact of development and to help to protect local amenity. There is a very strict list of what is and isn’t allowed so it is important that you follow the rules set by the local government regarding development.

Does Every Property Have Permitted Development Rights?

Largely, yes. That said, it is always a good idea to check what limitations have been put in place in your area in order to stay inside the law. You can find out the guidelines you need to follow in the Town and Country Planning Order (GPDO).

Not every area has the same rights so beware if you’re planning development in conservation areas, areas of outstanding natural beauty, national parks or world heritage sites. These locations will almost certainly require planning permission for any type of property development that changes the appearance of the building.

What Type of Work can be Done?

You may be surprised to find out just how much can be done without requiring planning permission. Here’s a brief list of what can be done:

• All internal remodelling
• Converting attached buildings, like garages, into living spaces
• Single storey extensions and conservatories that are no higher or deeper than 4m
• Adding roof lights, provided they don’t extend forward of the roof plane
• Loft conversions, provided they don’t sit higher than the most elevated point of the existing roof
• A two story extension up to 3m deep at the rear of your property
• Sheds and outbuildings as long as they do not exceed 50% of the total curtilage
• Converting two houses (or flats) into a single properly
• Installing porches on the front of the building
• Installing gates, walls, fences and decking
• Swimming pools following the same rules as sheds and outbuildings
• Creating basements, provided that no engineering work needs to be done
• Building hardstands for the purpose of parking

This is by no means a comprehensive list and there are many conditions and limitations that surround each type of development, so ensure that you are inside regulations before beginning work. If your project falls within these boundaries then you will not have to apply for planning permission as permitted development rights are automatically granted, free of cost.

Can Permitted Development Rights be Removed?

Yes, if you breach the limitations or haven’t got the documentation – such as blueprints – proving that your intended work falls inside the limitations then permitted development rights may be voided. There is also a clause where permitted development rights may be time limited, if the work is not completed within this time frame then you may be subject to having these rights removed.

What if isn’t Clearif the Project is Covered by Permitted Development Rights?

In this type of situation it is best practice to apply to the local planning authority for a lawful development certificate which will provide you with a legally binding decision regarding the project. This will either provide you with the legal rights to development or force you to apply for planning permission in order to develop further. Unlike permitted development rights, there is a fee associated with the lawful development certificate.

Relaxation on Permitted Development

The government have been trialling a relaxation on the rules for rear extensions from 30th May 2013 to 30th May 2016, allowing for detached houses to have rear extensions up to 8m or 6m for semi or terraced houses. If you plan on making the most of these relaxed rules then you will need to notify your neighbour as part of the neighbour consultations scheme and provide your local planning authority of details of the proposed extension.

How can I Finance this Development?

Unless you have the cash in the bank to finance this project, you will most likely need totake out development finance. To find the perfect finance package to match your needs, get in touch with Pure Commercial Finance today. Our experienced brokers can help you to get tailored packages to perfectly match your project, time frame and budget, call us on 02920 766 565 to find out more.


Ready to talk finance?

Call us and speak to one of our experts

02920 766 565 Request a Callback